Your commercial garage door may be the entry to your restaurant or secure the place where you store your most precious inventory. Besides the aesthetic appeal it provides for your business, it also protects your assets from weather damage, theft and vandalism. After a few years of repairs and maintenance, you may be wondering whether you should upgrade to a new garage door and how much it usually costs to replace a garage door. Typically, it’s less expensive to replace an old garage door than to pay the cumulative costs of getting it fixed again and again. Explore when you should replace a commercial overhead door.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Commercial Garage Door
How many years does a garage door last? A well-maintained garage door can last several decades. You’ll know when you need to replace your garage door if you notice these signs.
- It breaks down regularly: You may want to replace your garage door if you keep needing to call professionals to fix it. The cost to replace a garage door is worth it after you’ve spent so much time and money on repairs.
- It has suffered damage: If someone has hit the garage door with their car or another piece of heavy equipment, it might be misaligned, dented or cracked. You may want to get a new garage door if it’s beyond repair.
- Someone has broken into it: A garage door has safety features that protect your business against theft. At some point, it might lose some of those features and leave your property vulnerable. Replace your garage door to keep your inventory, employees and customers safe.
- It’s old or worn out: You may need to replace your garage door if you haven’t done so in a while. A worn-out door might have broken components that could reduce its efficiency.
- You want to upgrade your business: Your company might store boats or cars in your garage. You could also use your garage door to make your restaurant or store look more inviting. Get a brand-new garage door with an updated color, material or insulation to enhance your property’s curb appeal.
When to Repair or Replace Your Commercial Garage Door
Consider repairing or replacing your garage door in these instances.
You Want to Make Your Business More Energy-Efficient
Have you recently noticed an increase in your energy bills, even if your utility needs have stayed consistent? Your garage door’s insulation keeps out drafts and helps you save money on heating and cooling costs.
- When to repair your garage door: You could replace your garage door’s weatherstripping to make it more energy-efficient.
- When to get a new garage door: You may want to upgrade your garage doors if you have several worn-out ones on your property to save money each month.
You Want to Keep Your Employees and Customers Safe
Dented or unbalanced garage doors could pose a safety threat to your workers and customers. You may want to deal with the damage to your garage door before someone gets hurt.
- When to repair your garage door: You can fix a door that has suffered minimal damage. An expert technician can inspect your door’s components and find out what repairs to make.
- When to replace your garage door: You should replace an older door that has experienced repeated damage. A new garage door has sensors and safety features that can give you peace of mind as you run your business.
You Want to Protect Your Facility From Theft
A sturdy garage door has safety features that can help you keep your inventory safe. A new garage door is usually worth the money if it prevents someone from breaking into your facility and stealing your goods.
- When to repair your garage door: Newer garage doors often come equipped with sensors and alarms. You can usually add these safety features to your existing door retroactively if you don’t already have them.
- When to replace your garage door: You’d need to replace your garage door if it has broken photo-eye sensors or alarms. A professional technician can help you decide which safety upgrades are necessary for your facility.
You Notice Signs of Damage on Your Garage Door
- When to repair your garage door: Fixing your garage door makes sense when only one or two parts need upgrades. You can usually call in a professional garage door technician to inspect the system and make the appropriate repairs.
- When to replace your garage door: You may want to get a new commercial garage door if the cost to repair it is higher than or comparable to the price of a new one.
How Often Do Garage Doors Need Service?
A qualified professional technician should service your commercial garage door at least once each season. They have the necessary tools and expertise to maintain your door safely and efficiently. You should also check its operation about once a year. Follow these maintenance tips to prolong your garage door’s life.
- Visually inspect your door: Look at every garage door component for signs of wear and tear. Keep an eye out for broken springs, frayed cables, worn-out rollers, bent hinges and loose screws. Contact a garage door professional if you notice anything that could impede your door’s operation.
- Lubricate moving parts: Use a specially formulated lubricant for garage doors on all the metal components. You’ll want to apply a modest amount so that it doesn’t drip onto other parts.
- Check operation: Disconnect the door from the automatic opener and open the door manually. The door should smoothly travel along the track with little resistance. After plugging the door back into the opener, you should also try opening the door automatically to make sure the opener is in good condition. Consult a garage door professional if you find any problems while operating it manually or automatically.
- Test the automatic reversing mechanism: This safety feature works with your photo-eye sensor to send your garage door in the opposite direction if a person or object is in its path. Place a piece of wood under your garage door and try closing the door. It should stop and back up once it hits the obstacle. Make an appointment with a professional technician to replace your garage door if the door doesn’t reverse.
Contact Ingstrup Garage Doors and Construction to Request Service
After exploring these tips, you may decide now is the time to invest in a brand-new garage door for your facility. Our professionals at Ingstrup Garage Doors and Construction install and maintain commercial overhead doors for business owners in the Lansing and Grand Rapids, Mich., areas. Request service online or call 517-374-4731 to find out whether you should repair or replace your door.