Garage Door Maintenance Services in Lansing MI
Issues can arise with your garage door at any time. Scheduling regular maintenance is just as important as making prompt repairs.
When should you perform self-inspections, and when should you call a professional for garage door maintenance service?
At Ingstrup Garage Doors and Construction, we encourage you to check on your garage door system’s condition often. When you find problems, we’re here to help.
How Often Does a Garage Door Need to Be Serviced?
It’s important to schedule annual preventive maintenance for your garage door once a year, even when it’s in perfect condition.
Regular maintenance is the key to prolonging your garage door’s lifespan, preventing future damage and ensuring security. Services involved in preventive maintenance include:
- Adjusting springs
- Tightening hardware
- Replacing worn parts
You should perform monthly preventive maintenance checks between professional appointments. Many tasks are too dangerous for homeowners to complete, but checking on various components of your garage door and opener can alert you to problems before they become severe and costly.
Some of the garage door parts you should test each month are:
- Springs: Put your garage door opener in manual mode and bring your door to a half-open position. If it moves, the balance may be off or your springs may need adjustments.
- Cables: Check your cables for broken strands or other signs of distress. If you see any issues, call a professional immediately. Replacing cables is dangerous, and you should never attempt to do so on your own.
- Rollers: Chipped and cracked rollers require immediate replacement. You should inspect your rollers every six months.
- Weatherstripping: Check the seal below your garage door for cracks or gaps. If you feel a draft or see water pooling near the door, you’ll need to replace the weather seal to keep wind, rain and debris out of your garage.
- Moving parts: Lubricating the moving parts in your garage improves their longevity. You’ll need specific kinds of grease for different parts, including white lithium grease for parts on the opener and spray lubricant for overhead springs.
- Tracks: Always remove any debris in the tracks. If your tracks need adjustments, you should call a professional.
- Door: Check the door itself for damage. If you catch potential problems early, you may be able to repair your door instead of replacing it.
Importance of Regular Garage Door Preventive Maintenance
Performing preventive maintenance on your garage door and opener saves you from costly repairs and inconvenient downtime in the future. Broken cables and springs can cause serious injuries. When you recognize and address minor problems before they become more severe, you help keep your vehicles, belongings and family safe.
Many homeowners use their garage doors multiple times a day, and your door and opener sustain a fair amount of wear and tear from so much use. Keep your garage door system working for decades to come by taking care of it.
Schedule a Garage Door Tune-Up Appointment With Ingstrup
Is your garage door system ready for annual maintenance? Trust the professionals at Ingstrup Garage Doors and Construction to take care of your family’s garage door with tune-up services near Lansing, MI.