4 Questions to Ask Your Local Garage Door Installation Company
Whether you’re installing a new garage door or need any type of garage door repair in Lansing, Michigan, you should know that this is definitely not a time to look up videos on the internet and attempt to do the job yourself.
A garage door must be installed and repaired perfectly if you want it to run correctly. In addition, you actually risk injury if you attempt to do the job yourself. Here are four questions you should ask a professional garage door installation company:
1. What Experience Do You Have Installing Garage Doors?
One of the first questions you should ask about is the installer’s credentials. You need a company that is licensed, insured and certified to protect you in case anything unexpected happens during the installation.
Ask if the company handles routine maintenance on garage doors. If so, schedule an appointment for next year at the same time to have yours inspected. Routine maintenance will help your new door last longer.
As easy as a video may make installing or repairing a garage door look, this is rarely the case. The reason most DIY videos make a task look easy is that the person doing the video is usually an experienced and seasoned professional. Unfortunately, as easy as it may seem, installing and repairing garage doors is not an easy task if you have no experience.
Professionals have been extensively trained and have all the skills necessary to not only do the job correctly so that you don’t have any problems at all, but they will also be able to do the job quickly, saving you time and frustration.
2. WHICH PARTS WILL YOU USE?
Hiring a professional to install your door also means that you’re sure to have the right opener for your door based on the weight and size of the door.
You can avoid the hassle of changing openers because of a miscalculation, and your opener will last much longer when it’s exactly the right size for the door. Additionally, professional installers will have all the necessary tools on hand to do the job correctly.
There are many different aspects of garage door installation and repair that must be done exactly in order for the door to work well. This includes correct alignment of the photo eye, proper wiring, proper securing of the door opener, as well as properly installing pulleys, springs, and cables.
The weight of the door must also be properly balanced. All of these intricate steps must be done precisely in order to make sure the door is installed correctly.
3. WHAT SAFETY MEASURES WILL YOU TAKE?
Installing and repairing garage doors can be dangerous, especially when dealing with the springs. But the doors themselves can actually pose a risk as well. The doors are large, heavy, and awkward to install without any experience.
In addition, the installation of garage door openers requires working with electricity. It takes training to identify a properly grounded power outlet and extra safety precautions to do the electrical wiring as well. Professionals will also be able to test the door after installation is complete to ensure all safety measures are working properly.
4. HOW WILL INSTALLATION IMPACT THE WARRANTY?
Most garage doors come with a warranty; however, that warranty is often void if you attempt to install or repair it yourself.
When you attempt to install or repair a garage door yourself, you are very likely to spend many frustrating hours without the guarantee that you will be happy with the finished product.
It’s best to leave the job to the professionals who will stand behind their work and offer a guarantee and warranty.
Ask for a paper copy of the warranty so you can keep it on hand should you need to reference it in the future. Ask the installer to explain any part upgrades available with a warranty as well, and request those upgrades if available.
THINGS TO CONSIDER ABOUT THE GARAGE REPAIR AND INSTALLATION COMPANY YOU CHOOSE
Now that you know what you should ask a professional installation company, it’s time to select who you will use. A good installation company can put in your new door in a day. The installer will be open to answering your questions to reassure you that you have made the right choice.
The right installer will share information about the company openly and offer you any feedback you request. Vetting the company beforehand ensures it has the experience you desire. Here are a few additional questions to consider to help you make your decision:
- What do the company’s reviews say? Seeing what past customers think about a company is always informative. Check online reviews or talk to friends or family who used the company before. Ask about the outcome of the installation and small things, such as whether the installers arrived on time for the appointment.
- Can you get a discount if you schedule maintenance with your installer? As an incentive, many installation companies provide a small discount to returning customers after their garage door installations.
- Does the installer offer a satisfaction guarantee? Many garage door installation companies promise a certain level of satisfaction or your money back. Ask about the installer’s policies. A good installation business wants you to be happy and will do everything it can to gain your approval.
- What do you need to do to get ready for the installation? Usually, you won’t have to do much in advance, but there are areas of the garage that will need to be accessible. Asking about it beforehand is a courtesy to your installer, so they waste as little time as possible on the big day.
- How long has the installer been in business? A steady history of successful garage installations provides the record you need to move forward with confidence. Look over the installer’s website and social media presence to confirm a steady history of satisfied customers.
Contact Our Ingstrup For New Garage Door Installations in Lansing, MI
Do you need garage door installation assistance in the Grand Rapids or Lansing, MI, areas? We can help you. Contact Ingstrup Garage Doors online today to set up a service appointment or give us a call at (517) 374-4731.