The Cost Breakdown For Garage Door Repairs or Replacement
A malfunctioning garage door can be frustrating, and sometimes it can become a safety hazard for your household. There are a variety of possible garage door issues, several of which could indicate it’s time for a door replacement, while some malfunctions can be fixed with a replacement part. If your garage door is acting up, contact a professional in garage door repair and garage replacement in the Lansing area.
The cost associated with any home repair varies, and it’s the same with garage doors. However, understanding the itemized charges you might see on a repair estimate helps you understand exactly what repairs are being performed on your garage door.
The first step is to schedule an inspection from a trustworthy garage door installation expert in your area. The inspection should include the door itself and all of its mechanical components — the springs, opener reinforcement brackets, the rollers and the struts and the weather seals on the jambs. The service life of a garage door is between 10-20 years, but you may need to replace the springs much sooner. If the garage cables are damaged, you’ll have to replace those as well.
After the inspection is completed, the technician should provide a garage door repair estimate. Each repair should be itemized, including all parts required to complete the repair, labor costs and additional charges such as weather sealing. New garage doors come in a variety of styles and functions, so the price will vary. Ask about service warranties and get them in writing before agreeing to the installation.
REMOVAL OF OLD DOOR
If the inspection indicates you need a new garage door, there will likely be a fee for removing and hauling off the old one. Installing a garage door is a labor-intensive process, and before a new one can be installed, the old one must be removed. Some companies who perform garage door installations in the Grand Rapids, Lansing, and Kalamazoo area also recycle the old garage door.
There could be additional costs for replacing a garage door. If you live in an older home and the new garage doors are bigger than the current garage, the installation team may have to resize the opening to accommodate the new garage door. In addition, if there is a wiring issue and new wiring is required, there could be additional fees for that service.
Some garage doors have one spring, and others have two. If the springs need to be replaced, the metal cables which connect the springs will need to be replaced as well, and there will likely be a labor cost added.
If a garage door panel is damaged, it is possible that a replacement panel could be installed instead of a whole new door, which will save you money. Chances are, the panel will need to be ordered from the manufacturer or a supplier who carries that line of garage doors if the replacement company doesn’t carry your brand of garage door model. Ask about any fees that will be charged in addition to the panel, including shipping charges, replacement parts, color matching charges and service fees.
Choose a reputable company offering overhead door installation in Lansing and the surrounding area for the highest quality workmanship at a fair and reasonable cost.
Other Garage Door Repair Cost Considerations
Several other factors go into the cost breakdown of garage door repairs and replacements. These are smaller details but also essential factors that can affect your bottom line:
- Locks: Buyers now have the option of installing a lock on their garage door motors, making your door even safer and more effective at protecting valuable items. It’s an added safety measure to protect your belongings, and it adds to the price of garage replacement.
- Geographic Location: The area in which you live determines many things, including your garage door design. If you live in an extreme climate or an area with very high winds, extra design precautions might have to be put into place to increase the durability of your garage door. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as it will counter more repair costs down the road, but it’s something to keep in mind as you go about the process.
- Materials and Design: Costs based on materials and design can fluctuate significantly based on the quality you’re looking for. You’ll likely have to spend more on durable, reliable materials. If you’re looking to include windows or an elegant, multicolored style, this can also affect the price. You may be going for appearance and want your garage door to stand out from the rest, or you may be going for simple function — it depends on your preference.
- Resizing: You might have to resize your garage door if you have a larger vehicle or store something like a boat. The cost of resizing depends on the amount of labor needed and the specific logistics of the job.
- Insulation: The better insulation your garage door has, the more expensive it will probably be. This could be worth it if you’re looking to offset energy costs and live in an area that gets extreme heat or cold. Be sure to examine the advantages of an insulated garage door and determine if it will benefit you.
Contact Ingstrup Garage Doors and Construction
Due to the costs of repairing and replacing a garage door, it’s crucial to find a garage door repair professional who can guide you through the process with the care and experience needed to do the job right.
Ingstrup Garage Doors and Construction has been providing high-quality, affordable garage door repair and installation services to Lansing, Michigan, for over 25 years. Their expert team provides fast service and quality workmanship to every customer they meet. Contact Ingstup Garage Doors today!